Dodd Printing & Stationery, Inc. was founded as Pythian Printing in 1877 by Hyempsel Williams Dodd Sr. Originally the printing office was located in the old Lincoln Hotel (corner of 9th St & Ave H), and printed “The Knights Sword & Helmet” for The Nights of Pythias (a fraternal organization that thrived in the 1900’s). The shop moved a few more times over the years. First to the alley between Ave G and H, then to the 800 block of Ave G. Later to the 7th St & Ave G, then to its present location – 621 Ave G.
When Hyempsal Jr. took over in 1908, he changed the name to “Dodd Printing”, and by the 1920’s started selling office supplies. Fred Dodd (Hyempsal Jr.’s son) began running the business after graduating from the University of Iowa Law School in 1939. He incorporated the business into “Dodd Printing & Stationery” and began selling office furniture in the 1960’s. Neal Dodd (Fred’s son) then became the fourth generation Dodd to join the family business in 1977, after graduating from Coe College. He became the general manager in the 1980’s and began selling computers through “Today’s Computer Business” franchise.
In 2017, the business was sold to Matt & Betsy Hayes. Matt had been an intern for Dodd Printing while finishing his Graphic Design degree with Western Illinois University in 2006. He then left to work at the local newspaper, only to return in 2015 as the Pre-Press Coordinator at Dodd Printing. Matt has always been treated like family, so is considered the “fifth generation” to run the business.
Today Dodd Printing has been in business over 140 years. We’re small enough to care about you and experienced enough to do it right.
Copyright © 2018 Dodd Printing & Stationery | A Pen City Current Creation